Call for Papers
REPRESENTATION, REALITY & THE MEDIA
April 27th-29th 2012
We invite submissions of papers and suggestions for panels. Possible topics include but are not limited to:
- Popular Culture and Media
- The Realities of Languages in Contact
- Representations and Interpretation of the Other in Literature and Film
- Foreign Language Education as Agent of Cultural Representation
- Ethnographic Perceptions and Representations
- Historical and Political Variations in Reality Conceptualization
- Word and Image as Filters
- Visual Aesthetics and Hybridity
- Duchamp-style Bilingual Art
- The Unrepresentable and Ethics
- Unstable Reality and Shifting Representations in Translation
- Democracy and mass media in modernity and postmodernity.
- Reality and cultural mis/representation through the mass media.
Papers can be presented in French, German, Spanish or English. Reading time should not exceed 20 minutes. A revised version of selected papers will be considered for publication in the third issue of the refereed Shippensburg Journal of Modern Languages (SJML).
Please send a one-page abstract electronically to the corresponding panel chairs. Abstracts for languages other than French, German or Spanish are to be sent to Dr. Ragone, Conference Chair. Abstract deadline: January 31st, 2012.
French Literature and Culture
Dr. Blandine Mitaut, firstname.lastname@example.org
German Literature and Culture
Dr. David Wildermuth,email@example.com
Spanish Linguistics, French Linguistics
Dr. Agnès Ragone, firstname.lastname@example.org
Latin American Literature and Culture, Women’s Studies, Film and Performances
Dr. Ana Moraña, email@example.com
Dr. Marcela Pineda, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Robert Lesman, email@example.com
Spanish, Peninsular Literature and Culture
Dr. Àngela Bagués, firstname.lastname@example.org
Foreign Language Education
Dr. José Ricardo, email@example.com